Manual for old Husqvarna sewing machines

October 26th, 2010 § 10 comments

2nd Update: I’ve now put the manuals and some new ones together on their own page!

Update: Thanks to a kind fairy in New Zealand, CB-N manual now in English!

After years of searching in Canada, Angella finally picked up a foot-powered treadle sewing machine. A Husqvarna CB-N she found at a local flea market for a whopping 120 Swedish crowns. That’s $18.50 Canadian.

Needless to say, it is gorgeous. And Angella says it works better than any electrical machine she’s used. I’m not kidding. We haven’t given it a proper photo shoot yet, but you can see someone else’s in the picture on the right, from the International Antique Sewing Machine Forum.

Information online about this machine is scarce. It seems it’s no older than 1934, and apparently the CB-N Class 12 was the first electric machine that Husqvarna made. They must have just slapped a motor onto the original CB-N. Bear in mind that these facts are according to the internet.

Since there was such little information online about it, we were a little upset. That is, until Angella discovered a secret compartment containing all the missing pieces and the original manual in Swedish. It was like finding a secret room in a house.

I thought I would do the internet a favour and put the manual online. It looks valid for the Husqvarna CB, CB-N, CB XI, HR, and VS. It’s in Swedish, so you may have to translate parts of it. It’s called Hur symaskinen arbertar och hur den vårdas, or How the Sewing Machine Works and How to Care for It.

As a taste… The introduction is called “The Woman and the Sewing Machine,” and it contains a quote that I can translate as:

The woman must overcome her disregard for machines. She must instead learn to turn them into obedient slaves and exploit them in all manners.

How awesome is that?

Download it here.

If you want to learn more about sewing machines, check out the amazing Secret Life of Machines episode on sewing machines.

Tagged , , , , , ,

§ 10 Responses to Manual for old Husqvarna sewing machines"

• Anna says:

Hej!
    Awesome! Thanks a lot for the manual. We got a house in Sweden and we found a Husqvarna CB-N here. And zup you put up the manuals. I am really thankful!!!

Wonderful!

Best wishes!

• sintheta says:

It’s a beautiful machine. Glad I could help, and happy sewing!

• Jeff says:

Thank you! Just checked if this old electric machin I´ve found worked. It did! Wish I knew what some of the extra pieces are though…. /jeff in sweden

• Astrid TRAN says:

Can someone please help me? The belt of my old Husqvarna 21E is broken.It is the small toothed belt which goes inside the right hand bottom partt of the machine. I need the reference number and eventually the name of a dealer that could sell me one.

• Jolanta says:

hej! thanks a lot! i was looking for this manual everywhere! I also got the same machine :) it’s just awesome! do u really think it’s SO old? works perfectly!

• sintheta says:

Jolanta, I think if you google around you’ll find people listing the production dates for that machine, and I think it was 1934 to some time in the ’50s.

By far the best old machine I’ve found. It is a beast—I’ve been sewing shoe leather with it lately.

Glad I could help!

Astrid, your best bet is to bring the machine to your local sewing machine shop, or even a machine shop, since I’m pretty sure belts are universal parts to all kinds of machines. Husqvarna 21s are great home machines and worth fixing. Good luck!

• Radmila says:

Has someone a user manual for newer type of Husqvarna 2000 sewing mashine ? I got it as a gift, but without a manual. Please, help!!!!!!!

• wendy giacomantonio says:

I have a Husqvarna 2000 bright orange and quite “square” angular looking.I have the old manual too.

• wendy giacomantonio says:

I have a bight orange Husqvarna 2000 with a manual.

• Kristian says:

Excellent – bought this little beautiful machine in an old barn in Sweden for decoration purposes only and then plugged it in …and it works like a charm :) Its an old CB – black with wonderful golden decoration – and then finding this manual you uploaded made it perfect. Thank you so much.